Friday 4 May 2012

Grinded Coffee Powder


Coffee! COFFEE!

By the way, I don’t drink coffee, but my husband does. He can do away with instant coffee and pre-mix, but the person who doesn’t drink is very particular in what he drinks.

I love the smell of coffee, yet I find it bitter. This is one food that doesn’t smell like it taste, or maybe it does, but it’s just not connected to my system. I love the smell of freshly brewed coffee, not those of instant and pre-mix.

So the non-coffee drinker, me, look through information on coffee and started to learn how to brew coffee. Initially I wanted to buy the coffee powder from cafés like Coffee Bean and Starbucks, but my husband stopped me, because he said he needs Chinese styled coffee in the morning to keep him awake. In the end we bought something from the supermarket, which smells really good. He likes it too, and the colour is so much better than instant mix.

I don’t use “socks” or coffee machine, nor a coffee press, but a simple brewing filter from Bodum. I bought it from a departmental store at less than $20. It is a glass mug with filter where I can put it on and off. I just need to pour in boiling water, close the cover, and it will start dripping on its own. I like seeing the black liquid in the glass, it looks perfectly brewed unlike those of instant mix, but the sad thing is the glass mug is broken, and instead of buying a replacement, I replaced it with a white opaque mug since the filter is still working well.

I happen to find this coffee seller at a wet market near my office, and decided to buy and try. Since I know nuts about coffee and their taste, I asked the uncle for recommendation. He mixed two different coffee beans and grinded them into a 500g packet for me. It smells wonderful. Didn’t really catch the name of the beans, but I know one of them is Arabica. The best part, it cost only $9.

After reading through on coffee, learning how to brew, going through all the hassle to get the grinded coffee powder, I still don’t intend to start drinking coffee. I don’t want to cultivate such habit of needing it every morning or any time of the day, knowing how additive it can be, and I’m thankful I don’t like the bitter taste.

Well, the smell of it is enough to perk me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment